Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Blog Blog

To blog on blogging...

Well, I'm sitting here with a cat in my lap, and I had chips and salsa for lunch, and this is what you would call journaling. I realized that although I've kept up a blogspot site for something like three years, all it ever has been is a journal. This was the purpose I had intended for it, in any case; during and beyond my undergraduate education I came to know a lot of people who have since scattered all over the world, and my blog was mostly for letting them know what I'd been up to. Never mind that I haven't posted in it for months; I haven't really been up to much for some months either.

Blogging on the other hand is more than that. The reading out of Richardson's book enlightened me to a significant extent on the matter: blogging as connective exercise, analytic exercise, expository excercise, and conversational exercise combined. In the course of education from the ground up, I feel that this is an extremely useful activity for students to participate, as it incorporates reading comprehension and critical thinking and many other such desirable activities. Its complexity of nature also suggests that the full scope of blogging be "worked up to," which Richardson does discuss in chapter 2. When I began to take in what the author was defining as really blogging my first reaction was "Sounds like a lot of work," and I suppose that means I have some "working up" of my own to work on. The formation of a really useful and well-constructed blog would be well worth the invested effort.

No comments: